Thursday, January 5, 2012

Cook Like A Uke -- Christmas Cake Update


The Christmas Cake episode was shot a while ago, but I've been bogged down with manga and other editing. It will definitely go up on Monday, January 9th. And I must say, if I can pull this off, anyone can. That recipe was a series of firsts for me. I've never made a sponge cake. There is no box equivalent as it's structure is from whipped eggs and sugar with very little flour.

The original recipe is translated from Japanese. I post it and the adjustment in the info box below the video and on this page. The cake pan sizes are different in the US. I had a choice of one that was too big or one that is too small. I went for one that was too big. That meant I needed to make more whipped cream icing. I just used a whole pint of heavy cream and it worked out. However, it was unnerving as I went, because at no point in time did the cake I was making look like the one in the original video. Until the end. It worked out well despite the comedy filled process.

The key is to organize the ingredients before starting to work. This can be done the day before making the cake. You can put the flour, sugar and other cake ingredients in containers and store them in the fridge or on the counter (they should be room temperature). You can make the cake in stages. Cut up the strawberries and set them aside. Make the whip cream frosting and store it in the fridge while you make the sponge cake.

And don't worry if the cake is a glorified pancake. The batter is very tasty – especially with the whipped cream and the strawberries. And, keep in mind that a uke is usually a young man that may not be a wiz in the kitchen like Misaki Takahashi. Most of them would just buy a cake at a bakery or a convenience store on the way from a long, long day at work or school. To go through the effort to bake the cake would make any decent Seme very happy. Good luck, and please send photos of your efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment